Instagram LIVE: Bake with Janis
Hang with Janis as she makes Boston Cream Pie Cupcakes!
Follow us @millburnlibrary on Instagram
Recipe from lifeloveandsugar.com (go here for the full recipe page)
- Vanilla or Yellow Cake Mix (follow those directions) OR you can use your favorite cupcake recipe
Pastry Cream Filling:
- 6 tbsp Sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 tbsp Salted Butter (softened)
- 1 cup + 2 tbsp Milk
- 1.5 tbsp Cornstarch
- 2 Egg Yolks
- 12 oz Semi-Sweet Choc Chips
- 2 tbsp Light Corn Syrup
- 3/4 cup + 2 tbsp Heavy Whipping Cream
Pastry Cream Filling:
- Put the egg yolks in a medium sized bowl and gently beat them together. Set aside.
- Add the sugar, cornstarch and milk to a large saucepan and mix until smooth.
- Cook, stirring continuously, over medium-high heat until mixture begins to thicken and bubble.
- Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Add a little bit of milk mixture to the egg yolks and whisk together, then add egg mixture to milk mixture. This process ensures that you don’t cook the egg yolks.
- Place the pan back on the heat and bring to a light boil. Allow to boil for 2 minutes, stirring continuously.
- Remove from heat and add butter and vanilla extract. Stir until smooth, then set aside to cool to room temperature.
Chocolate Ganache Topping:
- Put the chocolate chips and corn syrup in a large bowl.
- Bring the heavy cream to a boil, then pour over the chocolate chips. Allow to sit for 3-5 minutes, then whisk until smooth.
- Place the chocolate ganache in the fridge until completely cool and firm, 1-2 hours.
- Once everything is cooled and ready, cut out the centers of the cupcakes. I use a cupcake corer, but a knife would work as well.
- Divide the pastry cream between the cupcakes and fill in the centers.
- Top the cupcakes with the chocolate ganache. I used Ateco tip 844 (Wilton 2D or 1M would work as well) to pipe roses on top. To make the roses, start the piping in the center then create a swirl moving outward. Complete 2-3 rotations until the cupcake is covered, then release pressure and pull the piping bag away.
- Refrigerate cupcakes until ready to serve. Cupcakes are best for 2-3 days.
- Friday, January 15, 2021
- 3:00pm - 4:00pm
- Time Zone:
- Eastern Time - US & Canada (change)